I think life is busy for most people at the moment and we’ve become used to juggling multiple balls at once – our jobs, our relationships, our friendships, our hobbies (and many of us know what a demanding hobby blogging itself can be) and sometimes the weight of multiple to-do lists, errands and all of those other things that bounce around our brain and wake us up in the middle of the night when we realise that something has dropped off our radar. Sometimes life can get so busy that it feels impossible just to stop even for a few moments, take stock and find a few moments of calm. I’ve been learning lately just how important doing that is, and I thought I’d share with you my favourite ways to find a little peace when life gets chaotic.
img credit: freshexchangeblog
001. Do a ten minute yoga video. Try Beginner Yoga with Tara Stiles.
002. Try meditation – the Headspace or Calm iPhone apps are great for talking you through meditation and helping you find peace after, or during, a busy day.
003. Go for a walk. Try and clear your mind of the anxieties and worries of the day and focus on the walk itself – the smells, sounds and sights of the neighbourhood or wherever you choose to meander.
004. Sort something out – restore order to a pile of books, clothes or magazines. (I find this really cathartic when things feel chaotic, even sorting something small makes me feel like I can tackle the bigger things).
005. Tick a ‘quick win’ off your to-do list, then put a big red line through it and enjoy the sense of achievement.
006. Take a bath or shower with your favourite bath bomb, shower gel or treatment. Give yourself time to completely immerse yourself and relax.
007. Make a cup of tea – preferably a warming, nourishing herbal tea like camomile or peppermint. Allow yourself to really enjoy it – no gulping it down now!
008. Make something with your hands – draw a picture, bake a cake, sew something, knit something, write a poem, take a picture – whatever your chosen creative outlet is, find a little time to create something.
009. Get your diary out and schedule in some ‘you time’. Think about what you’ll do on that day. Commit to it.
010. Phone a friend or relative you haven’t spoken to in a while.
011. Or better still, write them a letter.
012. Go on a scavenger hunt. Find interesting items, scraps, pieces of nature. Stick them into a scrapbook or collage.
013. Read a book. If you’re not currently reading one, read a chapter of an old favourite, or a poem you enjoy.
014. Get in your pajamas and slippers, even if it’s 3pm.
015. Learn something new – try HowStuffWorks, Instructables, or try the YouTube Education channel.
016. Perform a Random Act of Kindness. Some ideas for acts of kindness here.
017. Listen to some calming music. Try the Workday Zen playlist on Spotify.
018. Lock the door, turn off your phone and have a Netflix/Lovefilm/box set marathon.
019. Plan an adventure – something as small as a day trip or as big as your next holiday. Read a travel blog, buy a travel magazine or pick up a Lonely Planet and allow yourself to dream about what it will be like to visit your chosen destination.
020. Light a candle, lower the lights and drift away…
My favourite candle to burn to help me find peace and calm at the moment is the wonderful Neom Tranquillity Candle*. It certainly does what it says on the tin! With scents of lavender, basil and jasmine it is utterly heavenly and not only is it instantly relaxing it’s also perfect to burn before bedtime to help you drift off to sleep. The best thing about this candle is that it really fills the room completely with its divine scent and it lingers for days after you’ve burned it. I’ve never known a candle with such a strong, lasting fragrance before and it’s such a unique scent and difficult to describe just how gorgeous it is, it’s so soothing and definitely very, very calming.
What’s your favourite way to find calm when you’re going through a busy period?