Ten favourite things 00326 September 2015
001. A quick one before I start my ten favourites – I’ve realised that I save a lot of articles and then mention them in these lists, but it might be useful to share with you the app/site I use to do so. I use Pocket, which I’m totally obsessed with – I have an app for my phone and iPad, and a button on my browser at home and at work. If I see an article I want to save for later, I just add it to ‘Pocket’ and it saves it for reading later – and you can read it offline, so perfect for train journeys and travelling. Does anyone else use it?
002. The first article I saved (and later enjoyed) this week was Lifehacker’s ‘Reduce stress by making “good enough” decisions’. As someone who agonises over every tiny decision, this has definitely made me think.
003. Like every other blogger in the UK at the moment, I’m very excited that it’s now Autumn. I have a few busy weekends coming up but after that my weekends are reserved for forest walks, cosy jumpers, X Factor and a takeaway on a Saturday night, Lush bubble baths (well, that’s every weekend), and lots of dinners from the slow cooker!
img credit: http://w-i-t-c-h-e-r-y.tumblr.com/
004. I recently watched a video about Attention Deficit Trait – it’s different to ADD/ADHD, which is a medical condition, but instead it is a state of your brain being “overwhelmed with chatter”. The psychiatrist who coined the term says it's a condition induced by modern life, in which you've become “so busy attending to so many inputs and outputs that you become increasingly distracted, irritable, impulsive, restless and, over the long term, underachieving. In other words, it costs you efficiency because you're doing so much or trying to do so much, it's as if you're juggling one more ball than you possibly can.” I can definitely relate to this, and everything I’ve read about ADT really resonates with me. I constantly find myself writing an email on my computer, with one eye on Twitter on my phone, thinking about what I have to do on my journey home and worrying about something that happened at work. I constantly find half-written emails or texts because whilst writing them I suddenly think of that article I was going to read, or I check my Instagram feed, or even abandon it to write a different email. Despite all of these efforts, I find myself constantly being less productive than I could be – I constantly wonder how I’m not achieving more than I can with the time I have. There’s some good articles on ADT and how to control it – this one in Harvard Business Review is particularly good.
005. I’m currently reading ‘We Have Always Lived In The Castle’ by Shirley Jackson and I’m really enjoying it – it’s a relatively short novel (one for a rainy Sunday!) but it’s quite eerie and spooky and very different to anything else I’ve read recently! I also signed up for the Audible free trial so I can listen to audiobooks on my commute, and I’m currently listening to Ruby by Cynthia Bond. It’s very good but I feel like I’ve been listening to it for ages, so I think it must be quite a long book! It’s very well written though, I almost wish I had the paperback copy so I could note down some of the beautiful prose in it.
006. As usual we’re only a day into Autumn and I’ve already got a lengthy coat wishlist. There are some absolutely beautiful coats currently in at Joules clothing at the moment and I’ll definitely be grabbing one of those. I’m not sure if it’s the right season for leather jackets, but I also really want one of those – I think a leather jacket, scarf and jeans is a great look for when it gets cooler but it’s not quite Baltic enough for a thick coat.
007. My absolute favourite blog read at the moment is Love From Berlin. A ‘conscious lifestyle blog’ written by Rae, who lives in Berlin (in case you hadn’t guessed). Featuring absolutely beautiful photography, outfits, interiors, travel and lots more, it’s my absolute dream blog – I’m obsessed!
008. I’ve added several of these ‘Ten Most Important Books To Expand Your Brain’ to my Amazon wishlist…. (although I need to start getting my ‘to read’ pile down before I buy any more!)
009. I know I’m probably the only person in the world who hasn’t yet tried it or raved about it, but I bought the Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer from John Lewis this week, and unsurprisingly I’m in love! Are there any other Laura Mercier products I should try?
010. I’ve been pinning lots of recipes to my F O O D Pinterest board lately – next on the list for cooking is definitely the Overnight Spiced Vanilla Pear oatmeal (made in the slow cooker overnight!) or the tortilla with eggs, ricotta and peas. Yum.
*post may contain affiliate or collaborative links